Despite the somewhat decent track record of the previous Harry Potter games, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 is another dull and lifeless video game based on a movie. Taking gamers through Harry’s epic final battle at a breakneck speed, there’s no substance at all to the game and worst of all there aren’t any memorable moments. With basic level design choices and only brief spurts of variety via chase action sequences, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 isn’t a completely awful game whose name should never be uttered like that of Lord Voldemort, but it’s far from being looked at as one of the shining beacons in the bleak movie video game genre.
+ The music is rather good given its all original music and doesn’t heavily rely on tracks found in the film.
+ Controls are responsive and switching between spells is easy and quick.
+ There are a few nice visual moments due to the general scope of the world, whether it’s the caverns of Gringrotts or Hogwarts.
- There’s no depth at all to the combat and gameplay gets old fast since nothing new pops up.
- Outside of Rupert Grint reprising his role as Ron, the voice acting in the game is atrocious.
- Visually the game can look nice if not decent at times but some of the character models are simply ugly.
- The game rushes to tell the story and refuses to breathe for a minute and explore a story element or include a new gameplay scenario.
- There’s absolutely no replay value at all aside from bonus content quests and Trophy/Achievement hunting.
Upon looking at the title for this review a great many of you may be a bit befuddled as to why I’m reviewing Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 – The Video Game. Yes, I will admit that I may be a bit late to the party since both the film and the game came out last month. Personally I always strive to have my reviews out on a timely manner as best as possible, even if publishers don’t send us review copies or I find myself totally screwed once more by Gamefly, but every now and then I may get to a particular game a tad later than I would like to. Anyway, I will be