If you were like me, who thoroughly enjoyed playing Borderlands, the official announcement from Gearbox Software recently that Borderlands 2 was confirmed for release was music to your ears.
The return trip to Pandora is scheduled for 2012 and September's issue of Game Informer Magazine has Borderlands 2 as its cover story along with the first slew of details that will to build up your anticipation for the future epicness of Borderlands 2.
- The game will remain 4 player co-op but nothing really set in stone.
- The introduction of a new element called Eridium. Eridium will serve multiple purposes as it can be used to enhance weapons and will also serve as the game's currency.
- The original four vault hunters, Roland, Mordecai, Lilith, and Brick, will return but as NPCs.
- Four new vault hunters will be introduced of which the first one has been revealed as Salvador (check him out in the header image). Salvador who is a dwarf will be a Gunzerker and will be able to duel wield any weapon as his special skill.
- Complete new collection of weapons for looting. None of the old weapons from the previous Borderlands will be present. Also weapons will be more varied in terms of styling, color and enhancements that will be unique to each weapon manufacturer.
- The new vault hunters will have interacting dialogue with each other during gameplay
- AI will be improved and expect enemies to interact better with each other during battles.
- The Claptraps will be back!!
Gearbox is expected to show off Borderlands 2 for the first time in action at this year's Gamescom (Aug 17-21) and then at PAX Prime (Aug 26-28) so you expect more juicy details will be revealed in the coming weeks.
Borderlands 2 is tentatively scheduled for release for Xbox 360, PS3 and PC sometime in 2012.